Quilotoa Loop Packing List: The Quilotoa Loop is an incredible way to immerse yourself in the breathtaking highlands of Ecuador’s Andes Mountains. Connecting with nature and rural areas while traveling can add a unique layer of experience to your journey. It’s like savoring every layer of a cake rather than just the toppings.
If you’re interested in learning more about seeing one of the most exquisite crater lakes in South America, check out our comprehensive Quilotoa loop guide on this 3-day trek. It is a wonderful journey for new and experienced trekkers, can be completely self-guided, and the views are stunning.
Quilotoa Loop Packing List
Our packing list is not for the minimalist trekker. It is for the type of adventurer who would like to be thoughtfully equipped for any situation. Noted certain items as optional, with the intention that these items could make the overall experience more enjoyable.
Ideally, you’ll want to keep your pack as light as possible– less than 10 lbs (or 4.5 kg) is a good place to be. This is particularly important if you are a beginner trekker. After some time, every ounce of weight on your back begins to feel like a ton of bricks! Remember that you may not end up using everything (first aid, safety whistles, GPS, etc.), but in those rare instances, they may also save your life, and you’ll be thankful you brought it.
- Printed Quilotoa Loop trekking guide (if possible) or phone screenshot
- Travel Insurance
- Enough cash for all accommodations and snacks (US Dollars)
- Travel adapter
- Chargers and cables
- Smartphone – Airplane mode on to avoid roaming charges with WiFi on and offline maps for every town pre-downloaded
- Instructions in point #7 on downloading offline Google Maps
- Kindle E-reader or book (optional)
- Headphones // wireless earbuds (optional)
- Camera (optional)
- Power bank (optional)
Keep in mind that you should be packing mostly athletic, lightweight, synthetic clothing that wicks moisture quickly.
- 1 sports bra (women)
- 2 long-sleeve or short sleeve synthetic shirts
- 1 set of sleeping clothes
- 1 shirt to wear at the hostel
- 1 pant to wear at the hostel
- 2 pairs of Merino wool hiking socks
- 1 mid-weight fleece or soft-shell jacket (men’s and women’s)
- 1 waterproof rain shell (men’s and women’s)
- 1 hiking bottoms or leggings (men’s and women’s)
- 1 beanie hat
- 1 hat with brim or bill for sun protection
- 1 bandana or buff for neck sun protection
- 1 swimsuit (optional if you plan on using Llulu Llama’s hot tub)
- 22L to 28L backpack
- Backpack rain cover (or a rain poncho works well)
- Hiking shoes/boots with good tread to hike through rain, loose dirt, and mud
- LED headlamp
- 5 to 2L refillable water bottle or hydration reservoir
- Several plastic bags to hold your trash (leave no trace)
- Signaling safety whistle
- Compact first aid kit
- Trekking poles (optional)
- Quick drying and lightweight microfiber towel(optional)
- Sports wristwatch with alarm (optional)
- Daily skin moisturizer
- Face cleanser
- Medicine (general assortment)
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss
- Shampoo & Conditioner, or pack your own in these reusable bottles
- Contact solution and lens case
- Deodorant (women’s//men’s)
- Optional: face wipes, q-tips, hair ties, bobby pins, stain remover pen, antibacterial gel
- Toilet paper/tissues
- Blister care/moleskin(pre-cut moleskin into small pieces)
- Electrolyte replenisher powder mix sticks (optional)
- Small notebook and pen (optional)
In conclusion, having a well-planned packing list for the Quilotoa Loop trek in Ecuador can make all the difference in having a comfortable and enjoyable experience. From appropriate clothing and footwear to essential gear and personal items, each item on the list should be carefully considered and prioritized based on your individual needs and preferences. With the right packing list, you can feel confident and prepared for the challenges and adventures that await you on this stunning trek.
If you have any other questions about the Quilotoa Loop packing list, feel free to drop a line in the comments below.